Saturday 4 September 2010

Day 13 - Say Cheese...


This isn't a consumer review site. This is mine, all mine (bwa ha ha ha - evil laugh), but over the last almost 2 weeks I've been trying to find that holy grail, an alternative to cheese in my diet. I love cheese. It goes with everything, and it's the ultimate multi-purplse food. Have it on toast, on potatoes, grilled on vegetables, lovingly packed into plump pieces of beef or chicken, melted, sliced, grated (tastes different - why?)...

So I've tried a few. Plus, as I said before, I've given up butter too, and have been substituting soft cheese for it to ensure I don't eat dry bread all the time.

I thought you might be interested in the results of my own comparison of selected products in my fridge, so here they are:

Cathedral City Mature Cheddar
87 p/100g
1.7 g Fat/5g
Look how small 5g is! My favourite everyday cheese, I would normally have 8+ times this in a sandwich, plus butter. I guess that’s why I’m here… After almost 2 weeks without, this tasted so STRONG on my tongue, stronger than I had remembered. I don’t actually miss this as much as I thought…


Tesco Extra Light Soft Cheese
37 p/100g
0.2 g Fat/5g
The cheapest of the cheeses on test, I was recommended to try this on the advice of a fellow fat fighter, as it has less fat than Philly. Well, it certainly does, but it also has a more crumbly acidic texture, with liquid settling on top. Good if on a budget, otherwise go Philly I say.


Philadelphia Extra Light Soft Cheese
68 p/100g
0.2 g Fat/5g
Actually, 0.23g fat in the sample, slightly higher than the Tesco version. It is creamier in texture though, and more subtly flavoured. My new everyday cheese.


Laughing Cow Extra Light
67 p/100g
0.1 g Fat/5g
In days of yore I always preferred Laughing Cow triangles to Dairylea, so I thought I would give it a whirl, especially given the fat stat. It is yellower than the others, almost pasty in texture, and very definitely processed in taste. A disappointment.


Anchor Butter
56 p/100g
4.0 g Fat/5g
Heaven. Sigh. But HOW much fat?!


Which will you choose?


What I ate today:

2 slices of toast with EL Philly

My Nandos special chicken fillet in pitta. I tried the fat-free frozen yoghurt but it was banan flavoured and bland. Apparently some do chocolate flavour? Yum...

The above cheese platter, and a TLC hot cross bun


Exercise of the day:

A walk round the shops! Surprise, surprise...



Product of the day:

Probably the cheeses I mentioned above. I'm still a little gobsmacked by the fat results to think of another!

No comments:

Post a Comment