Saturday 25 September 2010

Day 24-33 - Holiday!

Where have I been? Well, gentle reader, there have been two reasons for my extended absence.

One, up till just over a week ago was continued loss of diet mojo.

Quite honestly I was boring myself, and feeling the slog so badly. In terms of the diet changes, they were routine and I was quite comfortable with them, but the bloody constant self-examination and dietary self-consciousness was wearing. When you look in the mirror and cannot identify the imperceptible changes it's hard to feel like it's all worth it. I was however branching out into looking generally more closely at labels, and choosing more foods we could eat as a family (see products, later).

The second was a holiday in the New Forest, where we struggled to receive 5 channels on the telly, let alone Beebies (sob) or a mobile signal... so surfing was restricted to a minimum and there was no chance to post anyway.

Dietwise, it took me a good four or 5 days to properly break diet, although when I did I enjoyed my whole holiday so much more. We self-catered, so from the off I had my staples of EL Philly, Slimfast and 'good' snacks. I was pretty good the first couple of days, but then the ice creams and pizzas snuck in, and quite frankly I felt awful - I was so entrenched in the diet that all I felt while I ate was guilt, and not in a productive, motivational way either, just sadness, guilt and self-loathing. I wanted to give myself a break, to enjoy the food, but I found it so hard.

I found it much easier to break the diet when we ate out. Because I wasn't making the food I had less responsibility for its fat content, which I guess is why eating out is such a diet downfall for some. For me, I found it utterly liberating. In our last couple of days I surrendered to good food, and ate chocolate cake, ice cream, pizza, fish and chips and a huge roast dinner. Happiness was back, even though I still disliked the face in the mirror. There is only one pic of me from the holiday, and not just because I wield the camera; it's a design of mine.

I arrived home, exhausted and visibly porkier. I stepped on the scales this morning, and I had today's headline all ready in my head... but then... what's this?

Enjoy the light reading: A Theory, as we head into the final week of the Alli 6-week challenge.


Interim Weigh-in:

Fri 17 Sept - 10st 3.8lbs
Sat 25 Sept - 10st 3.0lbs


What I ate today:

I won't include the diet for the last week as your keyboard will jam with drool.

I have been back on track today though...

Weetabix and milk

Tuna, tomato and EL Philly rolls, and a Shapers bar

A Sainsbury's pasta meal, indifferent and blandly tasteless


Exercise of the day:

We didn't do all the exercise we planned; no cycling trips or forest walking, but we did get lots of fresh air.


Product of the day:

Before the holiday I discovered Bisto Ready Toad in the Hole. At about 16g of fat per portion (4 skinny sausages) and just a pound this was lovely and crispy, and perfect to share with my eldest. We usually eat Aunt Bessie's version, but that has a massive 25g of fat in it! I know which one we'll buy going forward.

Another discovery was tuna, particularly tuna in spring water. Virtually fat free, so versatile, and yummy mixed in EL Philly in sandwiches. Get fishy!

No comments:

Post a Comment