Thursday 9 September 2010

Day 18 - Sausagefail

Back in the saddle again...

You may remember my adventure in venison in week one; the half venison sausages enjoyed by my husband and eldest while I looked on with my TLC banger.

Well, I found some actual venison sausages in the Tesco's finest range and, shock of shocks, they have less fat in them than my TLC pork tube... so it had to be done, didn't it?

Roll on this evening... venison sausages all round, mashed potato and beans to accompany. Tuck in everyone!

Oh 'deer'.

These 100% venison specials were rejected by 2/3 of the diners chez nous - my daughter didn't like the skin's texture, and my husband didn't like the whole thing really. Sausagefail.

Me? Well I quite liked them. they were obviously 100% meat, no fillers, cereals or any other crap in them. The smell was slightly reminiscent of a doner kebab, which, let's face it, is not necessarily a bad thing. The texture I found fine, more like a black pudding or a Spanish sausage than Walls' finest, though admittedly the skin was chewier than I am used to.

An expensive experiment, but such a shame. My family has been pretty supportive so far with my experiments, driven by a desire to see that they eat more healthily too, but I don't think I can justify buying these again, even though they are so low in fat. Sigh. Onwards...


What I ate today:

Shreddies and milk


TLC ham and cheese 'veneer' sandwich (by which I mean there was a veneer of pink, and a veneer of yellow, and the packaging said ham and cheese, though the flavour said... nothing), and three waitrose butternut squash pastries


I snacked on a virtuous Weightwatchers chocolate brownie (a bit dry. One for the custard treatment).


Dinner was venison sausages, mash and beans. never mind.


Exercise of the day:

A 45-minute walk challenge to the shops, carrying my big lump of a baby in a sling.


Product of the day:

Waitrose Delicatezze Spicy Butternut Squash Pastries These are yummy! As snacks go, they are not bad fat-wise, and the spiciness makes the flavour full and satisfying. Excellent hot or cold.

2 comments:

  1. The pastries sound yummy, will pick some up next time I am in Waitrose - I love that place and could spend a fortune in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo, Back to the farmers market to try some more interesting sausages!

    ReplyDelete